Beautiful hair is healthy hair. That doesn’t mean it has to be very long. Beautiful hair is moisturized and shiny hair without split ends and broken hairs. It moves well and has the right elasticity. Of course some of us have super good genes and automatically beautiful hair. But most of us have to put some effort to keep our hair healthy and beautiful.
The following 10 tricks are very easy to add to your hair routine:
1.Have a healthy diet
Treating your hair with the right products is just the beginning for having and maintaining healthy hair. Probably even more important is the food you work in every day. Because everything you eat has an effect on your weight, skin, nails and of course your hair. A healthy diet is an absolute must in achieving beautiful hair! Here are some of our favorite foods that will help you grow your hair beautifully:
Salmon is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, which promotes a healthy scalp. A deficiency of these fatty acids can lead to a dry scalp, resulting in dull and futile hair. Salmon is also rich in vitamin B12 and iron.
Dark green vegetables
Spinach and broccoli are rich in vitamins A and C, which are necessary for your body to make tallow. Tallow acts as a natural protective layer for your hair. In addition, dark green vegetables are a good source of iron and calcium.
Did you know some ladies put raw eggs in their hair to keep it healthy? It doesn’t matter how you eat an egg (cooked or baked). Egg contains a lot of protein and that is good for your hair.
Read the complete list here
2. Drink enough water
Actually this is also part of having a healthy diet. 60-80% of your body consists of water. A shortage of water leads to dehydration and directly negatively affects beautiful hair growth. An average body loses around 2 to 3 liters of water per day(through sweating and peeing). As you lose so much water, it’s really a must to water your body daily.
Here are more reason why you should drink enough water everyday:
- Water is the main source of energy for every cell in the body, including the cells that promote hair growth and overall health.
- Water keeps our metabolism system active and removes the poison and waste from our body.
- Water activates all nerve endings in the scalp. Your scalp and hair roots have many light-sensitive and energy-sensitive nerve endings that receive and send signals. Water energizes the nerve endings to respond faster. This improves the natural vitality of the scalp and hair roots.
TIP: if you really don’t like the taste of water, just add some fruits and/or vegetables like strawberries, cucumber, lemon, raspberries and orange. Get yourself a fruit infuser water bottle to make it more easier.
3. Don’t brush and comb your hair too much
It may seems harmless, but brushing your hair might be the worst thing you can do to your hair. Especially if you have long and tangled hair. Too much brushing will lead to broken hairs. And if you want beautiful hair, that’s something you definitely don’t want to happen.
Before you start combing/brushing your hair, try to untangle your tangles with your fingers. Once that’s done, you can start combing by using a wide tooth comb. Start at the ends of your hair and work your way up. You will notice less hair falling and/or breaking out.
4. Give yourself a scalp massage
The cheapest and easiest way to get longer is to give yourself regular scalp massages. Yes, it’s as simple and easy as that.
A brief explanation: for healthy hair that grows well, you must return to the source: your scalp! The most important thing is that blood circulation is stimulated. Did you know that many women with very long hair, take regular massages? Scalp massages stimulate blood flow, producing sebum. Sebum is your skin-like oil that protects your scalp and feeds the hair.
5. Try hair vitamins
There are many hair supplements that promise to grow your hair longer and faster. Many women see and feel the difference by taking these supplements. If you would like to try out these supplements, make sure it contains the following ingredients:
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B5
6. Protect your hair while swimming
A bathing cap is probably the best way to protect your hair while swimming in salt or chlorinated water. But to be honest… it’s not quite fashionable. Luckily there are other ways to protect your hair while swimming:
- Your hair is like kind of a sponge that absorbs all the water. If you are going to swim in chlorine or seawater, make sure you completely wet your hair first. Your hair can only absorb a certain amount of water and in this way the chlorine or salt has less space to be absorbed into your hair.
- Apply coconut oil on your hair an hour before swimming. Coconut oil is a good moisturizer that penetrates deep into the hair and protects your hair from chlorine and salt.
- Use a conditioner that contains the ingredient dimethicone. Apply it to your wet and oiled hair. The silicones put a layer on your hair so chlorine and salt can not penetrate your hair.
- Twist or braid your hair or put your hair in a knot while swimming.
7. Try the Inversion Method
Want to grow up to an inch of hair in just 7 days?! The inversion method has been discussed in the book ‘The Cure Baldness’ by Any Bryant. The theory behind it is that being inverted, along with a scalp message, is supposed to increase circulation to the scalp and allow more blood flow to your hair follicles allowing hair growth to increase. It’s very easy to do:
- You massage a heated oil of your choice on your scalp (we love Jamaican Black Castor Oil)
- Then go sit on a chair and bend your head to your feet. So you hang upside down (inversion). Sit 3 to 4 minutes
- If you need to, you can wash your hair afterwards.
Repeat this consistently up to 7 days in a row(for example, from Monday to Sunday). Then wait three weeks before you start again.
8. Avoid sulfates
Sulfates are hard chemicals that are often the main ingredient in shampoos. Sulfates make your hair very dry and can interfere the growth of your hair. Therefore try to bring back the use of shampoo to once a month, and Co-Wash your hair 1 to 2 times a week. (washing your hair with conditioner only)
9. Avoid to much heat
You can create beautiful curls with a curling wand or bone straight hair with a straigthener. And sometimes that’s just the look you want, but don’t overdo it. Don’t use your straightener daily, because you will regret it. Too much heat will cause your hair to dry out and even break. Try to limit the use of heat to only once a month.
When you do use heat, make sure to apply a hair serum before you use the straightener.
10. Be patient and consistent
Achieving healthy and beautiful hair isn’t something that happens overnight. You really have to put effort in creating a healthy hair journey that works for your hair. Once you found the right products and methods to keep your hair healthy, you have to be consistent and patient. But it’s definitely worth the wait if you really want beautiful hair!